Simple Ramblings of a Mad Woman

Thursday, February 23, 2006

With Intelligence Comes Melancholy

Had a very interesting conversation last night about something I've thought about a lot in the past but hadn't thought about in the last while. I'm sure I've shared this with some of my friends (but can't remember who).

I always say "ignorance is bliss". And I truly believe that. Lack of awareness allows for peace of mind. I've said many times at work that I'd prefer to die earlier than to become very old and demented. However, I look at my pleasantly demented patients and wonder what it must really be like to be that unaware of things. The same can be said for those people who are not that intelligent. Their lack of comprehension of things can be a blessing in disguise. They live their life in a much more simplistic way. Their needs and wants are more instinctual. This is not to say their life is not difficult...of course it can be. But I find with intelligence, comes the need for some to analyze & reflect on things. In many ways, intelligence is a gift that is to be cherished. It allows you to experience life in a way that others can't. It enlightens and enriches you. But at the same time, these same qualities allow you to come to certain realizations, many of which are not pleasant. You see things in the world for what it truly is. You know that things are usually not what they seem. The significance of certain actions/events/decisions etc are much clearer. With this insight comes a sense of sadness and depression. There is also frustration because often we (or anyone for that matter) cannot do anything to change things. They say many geniuses in the world had/have "mental illnesses" such as depression or bipolar disorder. (not to say others don't get these illnesses) Wonder how much their intelligence/insight/reflections contribute to their mood disorders?

If I could have one wish, it would be to live as a "dumb blond" (as they are stereotyped in the media) for a week or two to see what it really feels like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Simica