Simple Ramblings of a Mad Woman

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Reunion

Last night I went out with a bunch of people I grew up. We all lived in the same building, went to the same schools, spent time at each other's houses, in the hallways etc. After high school (well for some during high school), we all started going our separate ways. Some of us kept in touch with each other but never as a whole group. We sporadically have seen each other through out the years. Some are now married, some are engaged, some are single. Some are parents, some are working, some are still in school. Some live on their own, some live at home.

I must say, it was a very interesting experience b/c I remember who we all were, and now I saw who we had all become. The quiet ones were still quiet, the chatty ones were still chatty. Some still looked up to others, some were still intimidated by others. Our roles in high school still prevailed as adults. Despite having grown up together, we had all taken such different courses in our lives and our worlds are so very different. While these differences were not as pronounced when we were younger, they certainly have become more magnified as we have gotten older. Perhaps it's because we are more set in our ways and less willing to hid our opinions and attitudes. Perhaps it's just as we grow older, we become more comfortable with who we are and are willing to show more of ourselves. Or perhaps we become worse at hiding who we are. If I were to meet some of the people present today, I would have very little in common in them and would probably never get to know them. Since we share a common bond, ie our childhoods, it is inevitable that whenever we meet, we will reminisce and talk as if we are great friends.

As we grew older, we all found our various paths in life. Last night, I was once again amazed at how people who become more "religious" and "see the light" as they get older, they also become more judgmental and paternalistic. These are the same people who not too long ago, were doing things that they are now judging. It's fine if you feel you've seen the light but it is not anybody's place to tell another adult what they are doing is wrong and on top of that be judgemental and say "well you should know better, you should be doing this". How quickly we forget our own past. I'm sure the judging of others is a lot easier than having to face what you yourself have done. They feel that since they have found their path in life, everyone else has to follow the same path. Not only that, everyone else also has to sit and endure your lecturing. Nobody is right all the time. Everyone has opinions based on their own past experiences, upbrining and personalities. Everyone is entitled to hold their own opinions whether others agree with them or not. While it is ok to share your opinions, even be passionate and strong about them, it is not ok to dismiss other people's opinions as trivial or wrong just because they don't match yours or because they are coming from someone who has taken a different approach to life than you.

Some of the friends who I grew up with, will be a part of my life for a very long time. Others I must admit will remain acquaintances. I must say, all in all it was a night I won't forget b/c I was outside my own world and my own box and was forced to confront things within myself that I hadn't confronted in a while.

1 Comments:

  • So true and so wonderfully written :)
    Cheers!


    PS: Dang, I gotto start being better at commenting and updating my own blog

    By Blogger Tazzy, at 9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Simica