Simple Ramblings of a Mad Woman

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Residency Training

Of late (actually since August), I've been bitching quite a bit about work and I've sorted out some issues in my head as to why.

1) Being a senior is tough...you make the final decisions, especially at night. You run the hospital. You often have nobody to turn to (ie a fellow senior). If your lucky the emerg doc on will be good and you can run things by them however, their focus is emerg not internal medicine. All in all, it can get very lonely

2) Now that I have things to do, I find work very intrusive, especially the hours. I always feel like that is the # 1 priority and everything else has to take a back seat. Even on my weekends off when I am doing other things, work is on my mind as there is SO much I have to do (ex. studying, working on a project, writing up a couple of case reports)

3) For some people, medicine is a calling. For me it's a job...I've said that before but now I truly feel it. Don't get me wrong. I love what I do and I enjoy it but I like my friend's philosophy...I work hard until 5 pm and then I go home...I walk out at 5 b/c then someone else is on. I don't need to stick around at all endless hours b/c some things can wait, other things can be handled by someone else. And this friend is a phenomenal resident.

4) Medicine is draining. Aside from the hours and all the stuff you have to do on your own time, the constant having to perform at 100% (and how people notice when you don't)...the things you see is draining. Aside from the medical issues, the social issues, the depressions, people's circumstances get you feeling down. It sucks the life out of you at times.

5) There are things in place to help residents lead a balanced life however if you are not proactive, they will not come searching for you. There should be some way to incorporate into our training tips and strategies to make yourself a priority despite having such a high stress and high demand job.

6) I wish I could go on a beach and veg for 6 months. Sigh :P

7) Can't wait till 3rd year starts and I get some of my life back

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Simica